Sciatica refers to a set of symptoms/signs rather than a specific disease. Some use it to mean any pain beginning in the lower back and going down the leg. This is also a nerve dysfunction caused by compression of one or more lumbar or sacral nerve roots from a spinal disc herniation.
Pain typically cause in the distribution of a dermatome and goes below the knee to the foot. It may be associated with neurological dysfunction, like weakness. The pain is characteristic of shooting type, quickly traveling along the nerve course.
What are causative factors for Sciatica?
- Spinal disc herniation –This is called slipped disc, caused by pressure from a disc herniation & swelling of surrounding tissue.
- Spinal stenosis –Spinal canal narrows & compresses the spinal cord & nerves at the level of the lumbar vertebra.
- Piriformis syndrome – This is a neuromuscular disorder that occurs when the sciatic nerve is compressed.
- Pregnancy –This may be a result of the weight of the foetus pressing on the sciatic nerve during sitting or during leg spasms.
- Other – This can be caused by tumors impinging on the spinal cord or the nerve roots. Severe back pain extending to the hips & feet, bladder loss or bowel control or muscle weakness. Trauma to the spine from a bus accident.
How homeopathic medicines work for your Sciatica?
· Homeopathy helps in controlling the sciatica pain during the acute attack as well as helps in preventing the recurrence of such episodes.
· Homeopathy helps in reducing stiffness and improves the joints mobility.
· Homeopathy medicines for sciatica help first by stopping the progression of the illness, decreasing the pain and then permanent cure for sciatica.